Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thing #15

I read the first two articles and was intrigued. The whole concept of the library is morphing into a virtual playground for our students where they create the toys to play on and how they play (with guidance)! I realize that if we were to limit ourselves to a paper library, then we would be stuck in the ice age; however, I do not feel that keeping our library resources is an iceberg. I think moving the central focus of the library to the digital community will work, while keeping some of the books, or great attributes of the library in tact for our students to experience. I completely agree that the paper age is time consuming, hard to navigate, and you as a consumer are limited to the products available at your specific library.

I laughed at the term "technolust" in Michael Stephens' article. I think that is a perfect term for much of the technology that we have purchased. We have great ideas, but either lack in follow through or have techno-hogs that won't share the knowledge on the technology. I think that our library lessons should now move towards lessons on viewing blogs, what appropriate blogs look like, how to create your own blog, how to navigate through the digital community in their classes... I am sure there is a long list of goals for the Library 2.0 "age" with more than I know about.

I think that our teachers would benefit from the library 2.0 transition even more than the students. Our stuck in the mud teachers are what keep our students from moving ahead into the technological age. Even through this experience, the teacher who opens the circuit to technology gets taken in with the students, hardly 1 step ahead of them. We as the instructors should lead our kids to the digital world instead of holding them back.

No comments:

Post a Comment