Saturday, August 8, 2009

Thing #22 Ning

Alright, so I have gotten lost in all of the links again, but I found a social network called Classroom 2.0. I was able to download a webinar for

PBS & CR20: Early Childhood Literacy: Resources & Strategies

This was really neat to see how it all works. You can sign up, text on the left hand of the screen, watch the powerpoint as they speak, ask questions with your own microphone on your computer, participate in polls with A-E buttons, . . . with the economy dwindling and people cutting costs everywhere, I think this is a great interactive tool for professional development! The best part (from what I can understand) is that the presenters could plan using web2.0 tools, (NING) and live in different cities, presenting at the same time! This is awesome. I know that I am supposed to be on Ning, which I am, but I have found a resourse for me to grow as an educator!

I think that Ning would be a great place to have faculty announcements, posts, . . . I would like to talk to somebody whose school has used Ning for communication. I did speak with a high school biology teacher the other day who shlowed me her platform for her kids to discuss things. The thing I liked from what she told me was that you could monitor the students' contributions and edit if not appropriate.

I think I may try using Ning with the 5th grade classes this year, maybe to allow constructive criticism on science experiments or feedback on what they would like to see. I think that this would allow students to realize that they have a voice. I think this is a great tool we should definitely use more. I am going to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment